Project budget9 810 515 €
ERDF amount5 886 309 €
Europe’s waters are an untapped source of renewable energy able to deliver 25% of our energy demand by 2050*. The 2Seas region is uniquely positioned: The Channel, North Sea and Delta's connect the regions and store abundant and unexploited energy from sun, wind, tides, currents and waves. This Offshore Renewable Energy (ORE) can power households and industry. The ORE sector is emerging rapidly and has the ambition to become a global industry leader.
2Seas companies could tap into a global annual market worth €100+BN. The sector is hindered in this ambition, as new prototypes are not developed based on a standardised protocols integrating previous lessons learned. The lack of this standardised prototype development is a significant market failure in the sector, as certification following standardised development is crucial for further capital investment in companies, bankable projects, and scaling-up the sector as a whole.
*10% from tidal & wave energy and 15% from offshore solar
ENCORE's main objective is to increase the delivery of innovation in the Offshore Renewable Energy sector supported through 2 specific objectives:
1 | Advance five ORE technologies with experts in a structured and collaborative process and tackle common challenges through Taskforces and thus moving:
- Water2Energy river current turbine from TRL 3 to 5
- Laminaria wave energy device from TRL 3 (subsystems) to 7 (full scale)
- Teamwork Technology wave energy device from TRL 3 to 5
- Oceans of Energy offshore solar plant from TRL 3 to 5
- EEL Energy undulating water current turbine from TRL 3 to 5
2 | Develop a Route-to-market strategy for ORE solutions to accelerate commercialization for islands, harbors, estuaries and offshore structures building on the following sub-objectives;
- prepare SMEs for investment
- continue to improve new international standards and certification
- support skills development in the Blue Economy
- involve supply chain and stakeholders
- 5 SMEs benefit from collaboration with Service Providers (SPs) to develop 5 next generation prototypes. Each SME directly benefits in terms of technology readiness (from TRL 3 - 7) and commercial readiness resulting in an expected €100 mln capital raising and identification of 10 new deployment opportunities. Services to support the 5 SMEs will be developed and provided by engineering consultancies and Test Laboratories (TLs). These SPs benefit from market uptake and an expected 30 new SMEs supported by the SPs in 3 years after the project closure.
- Route-to-market strategy for ORE solutions in the 2SEAS region and beyond (international export). This output captures all learnings from the business plans, robust certification, educational tools and stakeholder engagement to create long-term impact. The output is expected to provide a clear and usable Route-to-market thus ensuring growth & jobs and giving authorities data to underpin policy development.
Cross border approach
Transnational cooperation between technology developers (TDs), supply chain, regulators, Test laboratories (TLs), and R&D institutes is paramount for commercialising ORE for export across the world, for local job creation and attracting investors. The 2 SEAS region is blessed with abundant wind, solar, wave and river current resources, thus allowing cross-border export of know-how and solutions. Regions should cooperate on strengthening and engaging regional supply chain, developing joint policies for support and learn from commercial experience in oil and gas, water management, harbor management and offshore wind. ENCORE implements a Regional Impact Campaign where partners, observers and other stakeholders jointly work on activities and common challenges through engaging with education for cross-border training, with supply chain through sub-contracting and organising events, regulators through meetings, and with stakeholders through social media, press releases, and newletters.