Priority AxisTechnological and Social Innovation
University of Lille: Sciences and Technologies
Project budget3 801 252 €
ERDF amount2 280 751 €
Date de début01/01/2018
Date de fin30/09/2022
The common challenge concerned by CoBra project is related to the cancer control plan.
The CoBra project is interested on technological innovation for diagnosis and treatment of localised cancers able to enhance the quality of life for patient and reduce the cancer mortality.
The CoBra project aims to improve the quality of both diagnosis and treatment of localized cancers, by developing innovative technology for biopsy and brachytherapy under MRI control.
- Prototype: to develop a new medical robot prototype for diagnosis and treatment of localized cancers by brachytherapy and biopsy under guidance of MRI. The main localizations are focussed on Prostate and other soft tissues.
- This prototype will contribute in enhancing the practice of the Brachytherapy in the 2 Seas region. At the end of the project, the concept should be tested on biological subjects, before a technological transfer in the region of the 2 Seas.
- Training: to initiate a training programme for practitioners and physicists on MRI based robotic brachytherapy and biopsy in the 2 Seas region.
- Study: to elaborate a map for targeted cancers dispersion in the region of 2 Seas. This allows estimating the optimal placement of the designed concept in the region of the 2 Seas according to the patient concentration.
- Network: to develop a network of SMEs and Start-up for technological transfer of the new designed concept.
Cross border approach
The fight against cancer is a plan that concerns cross-border countries. The 2 Seas region has complementary competences able to reach the overall objectives of the project. Without this cross-border cooperation, it is not feasible to realize this technological innovation. U-Lille (Fr) will contribute to the development of the robot in collaboration with a SME Demcon (Nl); UT-Delft (Nl) will develop specific needles under IRM control; U-Port. (UK) will work on the time optimization of the treatment plan and the cancer mapping in south of UK. COL (Fr) and NHS (UK) are referenced hospital in the 2 Seas region for the Brachytherapy practice, while Oncovet (Fr) will be a platform for principle proof of the concept for treatment of animal cancers. SATT-Nord (Fr) is a company specialized in the intellectual property of the technological innovation. Finally Eurasanté (Fr) will work on the cancer mapping in the continent and links to SMEs in the exploitation of the results of the project.
Centre Oscar Lambret
Delft University of Technology
University of Portsmouth
DEMCON Advanced Mechatronics West B.V.
Technological Transfer Office North of France
Veterinary, Oncology Centre Oncovet
Portsmouth Hospitals NHS Trust
Demcon Advanced Mechatronics B.V.
Philips MR Clinical Science
Wessex Academic Health Science Network