Electrons to high value Chemical products
Priority AxisTechnological and Social Innovation
Lead partnerNetherlands Organisation for Applied Scientific Research
Date de début01/07/2018
Date de fin31/12/2021
Project budget7 184 812 €
ERDF amount4 310 887 €
The coastal areas of the 2 Seas region combine (future) availability of renewable energy with strong industrial activity. This leads to the common challenge of handling renewable energy surpluses, diversifying feedstocks in the chemical industry, reducing greenhouse gas emissions in energy intensive industry, and meeting societal and regulatory demands on advanced fuels and sustainable chemicals. "Power-to-X” concepts, using (renewable) electricity as a replacement for oil and gas energy sources in the production of chemical products, allow for the combination of a solution to these challenges with the creation of valuable products. However, several technical and economic hurdles still need to be overcome. These are related to the cost of renewable hydrogen, the technological immaturity of novel electrochemical processes, and the need for demonstrators and business case calculations to convince industry to invest in further development and implementation of these technologies.
The overall objective of the project is to stimulate investment in and implementation of Power-to-X technologies by developing innovative direct and indirect conversion processes for the chemical industry towards higher TRL’s, while making use of renewable electricity and lowering the carbon footprint. With these technologies, valuable fuels and platform chemicals can be produced from renewable raw materials while decreasing costs and increasing flexibility. The aim is to develop at least two pilot demonstrators at TRL 6 – 7 and two bench scale pilot installations at TRL 4 with supporting feasibility evaluations, thereby lowering the risks of investment for companies, especially SME's, and positioning the 2 Seas region as an innovation leader in Power-to-X sustainable technologies.
- Two highly flexible Power-to-X pilot demonstrators, one for the indirect conversion of electricity to fuels and one for the direct conversion of electricity with CO2 to platform chemicals;
- A highly flexible Power-to-X bench scale pilot installation for the direct electrochemical production of chemicals;
- A bench scale pilot installation for lifetime testing of novel electrolyser concepts;
- Two feasibility studies for Power-to-X technologies (one each for the direct and indirect routes) which are based on high level system analysis, roadmapping, detailed business case calculations, and a technology implementation plan.
Cross border approach
- The need for combining resources from all of the member states, in terms of knowledge, personnel and financing, in order to make significant steps in the development of Power-to-X technologies, thereby establishing infrastructure that increases the cost-effectiveness of future relevant research projects for the region.
- The need to establish a critical mass of highly trained personnel and research groups specialized in the field of Power-to-X technologies. This will attract more researchers to the area and be able to support the industry when they will need to hire new personnel as the technologies are implemented.
Since the project has just started outputs have not been achieved partially or fully. Work has started in WP1, WP4 and WP5. The first progress meeting has been done with all the partners via teleconference.
There has also been sub-group meetings between partners for WP1 related to the direct and indirect line separately. There is a very good cooperation between the partners.
Tasks and ideas are easily shared and each partner brings its own expertise ans skils. All deliverables due till 31/01/2019 have been delivered and uploaded to be shared.