Local Energy Communities for the 2 Seas region
Priority AxisLow Carbon Technologies
Low Carbon Technologies
Lead partnerIntermunicipal Association Leiedal
Project budget6 803 301 €
ERDF amount4 081 980 €
The role in the energy system of citizens, businesses and all types of energy consumerswill change in short future. Today all EU-member states prepare implementation by 2020 of "Local Energy Communities" (LEC): “an association, a cooperative, a
partnership, a non-profit organization or other legal entity which is effectively controlled by local shareholders or members, generally value rather than profit-driven, involved in distributed generation and in performing activities of a distribution system operator, supplier or aggregator at local level, including across borders."
LECs make energy sharing of mid-scale sustainable energy feasible, today it is very difficult.
New challenges arise: LECs offer the legal and organisational framework fo complex energy arrangements, but the initiation of these new arangements is not secured: businesses, citizens and organisations need to embrace the concept of
LEC, new organisation models, technical innovations and market services.
A succesfull take-off of Energy Communities (EC's) in the 2-Seas region. The new LEC-option in legislation gets adopted by the stakeholders, the market and energy consumers to create energy synergies and cooperation models. This will lead to unlocking extra potential of mid-scale sustainable energy (large solar PV, CHP, district heating, microgrids, storage, wind...) shared in the EC's. The acceptance and adoption of sustainable energy technologies increases with businesses, citizens and/or organisations. Carbon redudtion via more sustainable energy production.
- Knowledge building with 640 potential EC-stakeholders and decision makers reached with the knowledge platform
- 8 lighthouse demonstration projects throughout the 2-Seas region with a different scope.
- €30 MLN investments triggered via the lighthouse demonstrators
- 15.000 MWh renewable energy production per year by the 8 lighthouse projects
- 3.750 tCO2 savings per year by the 8 lighthouse projects
- Service Center on Energy Communities in the 2-Seas region. A library of tested and tailor made tools, services and methodologies to enable EC facilitators and different target groups (businesses, social housing, citizens, clusters of public and/or private organisations).
- Knowlegde Platform on EC's in the 2 Seas region that enables participation and knowledge sharing amongst ECstakeholders and potential end users. The platforms are organised on regional/national level, as well as on cross-border level.
- 8 Energy Communities lighthouse demonstrators, making use of the new legal options of creating ECs.
- 2 Infrastructures for EC's: electricity sharing. Investments in the technical innovations/solutions needed to realise a smart-grid alike energy sharing infrastructure.
- 2 Infrastructures for EC's: heat/cold sharing. Investments in the technical innovations/solutions needed to realise 4th generation district heating & cooling schemes.
Cross border approach
The new legislation on LECs causes a search for similar solutions with many stakeholders in the 4 2-seas countries. What is possible? What works, what not? Should new products or services be developed? Who should be incentivised, and how?
LECSea offers a platform for partners and non-partners to get inspired by solutions developed and under development across the 2-Seas region. Today, not in all 4-sea countries the debate in the energy sector on ECs is as intense.
Crossborder cooperation will increase the options per country to operationalize ECs :
- The creation of a shared service center and knowledge platform in which the EC-stakeholders of the 4 2-Seas countries can find tools, services & methods to catalyse their projects and exchange knowledge.
- Establishment of EC lighthouses throughout the 2-Seas region with complemantry focusses (business park, social housing, housing, mixed, electricity vs heat...). Exchange of available knowledge on solutions between partners.