Project budget3 277 471 €
ERDF amount1 966 483 €
SEAS 2 Grow will tackle the 2 Seas area challenge of ageing populations which leads to pressure on social & medical services and housing affordability while older adults (over 60) want to stay longer at home, even if they face new dependency. There is a need to raise awareness & co-create a Silver Economy (SE) Ecosystem with stakeholders in order to encourage & enable them to propose innovations to solve this issue. Currently, companies do not enter the European SE market not only because they are not aware of these opportunities but also because they face regulatory and market barriers.
The objective is to set-up a proactive SE ecosystem accelerating the delivery of technological & social innovations for the 2 Seas SE market, by providing new tools, methods & services for companies to better enter this market & develop tailored SE solutions, especially for independent living at home. SEAS 2 Grow will also create synergies with local authorities to implement common strategies in SE sector & develop new financial models. By reaching this objective, senior citizens & their families will benefit from innovations more suitable for them that will improve their life conditions.
- A common market referential on the Silver Economy including a Strategic Guide, novel finance models & a Strategic Action Plan
- A Cross-border Accelerator performing 4-step testing of SE solutions, each step performed in some 2 Seas regions following partners’ expertise & available facilities: exploration sessions, experts and demo-houses lab in realistic user environment, living lab at seniors' homes & business lab (market access)
These outputs will benefit stakeholders of the 2 Seas area belonging to the 4 sectors of the quadruple helix model, especially companies & older adults
Cross border approach
SMEs across the 2 Seas area do not all benefit from the same level of support to enter the SE because the regions are not equipped with same facilities & services. To ensure homogenous access to this market, a cross-border approach is needed because partners’ complementary skills are necessary to structure the SE market in an efficient & complete way. Moreover, SMEs also need to have access to a wider market since it will offer them bigger opportunities, enabling them to develop & implement innovations in the entire 2 Seas area, available for all seniors of this area.
SEAS 2 Grow project aims at improving framework conditions for innovation in Silver Economy (any economic activity targeting people of more than 60 years old) in order to develop sustainable solutions and products tailored to elderly needs. To reach this objective, it is necessary to enable different stakeholders from this sector to meet and work together, such as elderly, companies, health institutions, local authorities. Collaboration between all these types of actors is needed to develop products that really fit the elderly's and their caregivers' needs. Then, SEAS 2 Grow focuses on living-lab activities to test innovative products with panel of elderly (at home or in health institution) to validate the product use.
Since the project starts (in Sept 2016), SEAS 2 Grow has delivered a lot of tools to help companies and health institutions to better understand each other, and to advices businesses on how to enter the Silver Economy market in each of the 4 countries:
- Organization of needs finding sessions in each of the 4 countries and of a cross-border survey to identify current practices and barriers to innovate in Silver Economy in the 4 regions
- Market study about structuration of the Silver Economy and main opportunities in each of the 4 countries
- Online Route to market tool, to advice each company with personalized information about regulations and routes to market in each of the 4 countries, when they answer a list of questions about their products
- Online map, which enables to identify the entire SEAS 2 Grow community and to contact organizations more easily.
All these tools are a data base whch helped writing a strategic guide on Silver Economy. This guide will advice sakeholders on the structure of the SE market in each region.
SEAS 2 Grow has also set up the cross-border Accelerator to enable companies to test their products from co-creation to business acceptability in the 4 countries. Processes and methodology have been defined conjointly by all partners - template for registration form of companies, evaluation criteria to select them, methodology to test products, etc.
4 calls for projects have also been launched to select products to be tested with panels of elderly in the 4 countries through our Accelerator.
26 companies have been selected via those 4 calls for projects. Experimentations have started with elderly at home or in institutions. Some conclusions have already been made to enable companies to improve their product.